Science is one of the most amusing subjects in class 6-8. Since everything about human life is concerned with science, it is necessary to know the basics of it. CBSE board aim is to link the children’s life outside the school. So, their learning can be much more practical and enjoyable. CBSE aims to fill the gap between theory and practicality. NCERT books serve to fulfill these aims. That is the NCERT books are structured in such a way to make the learning for children less bothersome. It can be Science, English, Social studies or anything. No subject is an exception.
Class 6 Science NCERT textbook helps the students to create a deep understanding of all things that happen around them. Class 6 science is the combination of physics, chemistry, and biology. Under physics, students learn about electricity, magnets, light, and shadows. Under chemistry, students will come to know about food and its components, plants, living organisms, body movements, etc. Under the biology section, students will know about the classification of materials, separation of substances, gases, etc. In the class 6 NCERT textbook, there are 16 chapters. The list of the chapters are as given below,
- Food: Where Does It Come From
- Components of Food
- Fiber to Fabric
- Sorting Materials into Groups
- Separation of Substances
- Changes Around Us
- Getting to Know Plants
- Body Movements
- Living Organisms and their Surroundings
- Motion and Measurement of Distance
- Lights Shadows and Reflection
- Electricity and Circuits
- Fun with Magnets
- Air Around Us
- Garbage In, Garbage Out
Chapters in brief:
- Food where it comes from: Every living depends on food for their survival. Food helps every living organism to grow, to get the energy to do the work, to protect us from diseases, etc. Surprisingly, not all people around the world eat the same food. Even in India food differs from place to place. So, in this chapter, students learn what are the different food sources and from where does it come.
- Components of food: The whole purpose of food is to provide the energy to work. But what that food is composed of. In this chapter, students come to know about carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, etc, and how they help us. Students can also know what a balanced diet actually means.
- Fiber to Fabric: In this chapter, students come to know how clothing started in the world. It deals with a variety of fibers like cotton, silk, jute, wool, etc. It also explains the processes like spinning, weaving, knitting, and so forth.
- Sorting the materials into groups: Apart from the living beings on the earth, various materials exist around us. For example, the pen is made of plastic, slippers are made of Rubber, and clothes are made of different materials. So, this chapter helps the students to differentiate the things around them based on their properties, appearance, hardness, buoyancy, etc.
- Separation of substances: This chapter deals with the various methods of separation like churning, condensation, Evaporation, filtration, Handpicking, sedimentation, sieving, threshing, etc. Students can also learn about the mixture, pure and impure substances.
- Changes around us: When butter is kept on a hot pan, it melts immediately. The butter can regain its form when it cools down for some time. The change is temporary. But there will be permanent changes too. That is some changes are reversible and some changes are irreversible. Through this chapter, students learn about many changes as such in detail.
- Getting to know plants: Students might observe not all the plants are the same. Some give flowers, some give fruits, some others give vegetables. Similarly, some plants are small, some plants are of medium size, etc. This chapter tells students about the types of plant-like herbs, shrubs, trees. It also tells about the leaf, root, stem, flower, etc.
- Body movements: Our body is not as simple as it looks. Many parts coordinate each other to function every body movement. So, this chapter explains the body movements including rib cages, bone joints, shude bines, hip bones, cartilage, fixed joints, etc.
- Living organisms and their surroundings: This chapter sheds the light on the various habitats that organisms live in like terrestrial habitat, Aquatic habitat, and adaptation, surroundings the organism lives in, etc.
- Motion and measurement of distance: Times have not been the same all the time. People used to walk from one place to the other one time. Later on, different transport facilities had evolved with the inventions. So, this chapter deals with the transport, measurement system, types of motion like circular, periodical, rectilinear, etc.
- Lights shadows and reflection: This chapter describes the students about the light, formation of shadow, sources of lights, different kinds of substances like opaque, transparent, translucent, etc. It also deals with reflections, pinhole cameras & their construction, etc.
- Electricity and circuits: This chapter tells about the interesting things that everyone sees every day in their houses like a bulb, switches, etc. It also explains the open and circuit, flow of current in circuits, sources of electric current, etc.
- Fun with magnets: In this chapter, students learn everything about magnets i.e. How magnets were discovered, magnetic and non-magnetic materials, poles of magnets, attractions and repulsion, how to find directions using a magnet, and how to make a magnet.
- Water: Water is a miracle substance in the world. It exhibits very different properties at different stages. IT can exist in all three forms like ice, vapor, etc. This chapter details the processes like evaporation, condensation, transpiration, precipitation, etc. It also explains sources of water, formation of clouds, effects on rainfall drought, water conservation, rainwater harvesting.
- The air around us: In this chapter, students can learn interesting things about air, its constituents, availability of oxygen to mankind, animals, etc.
- Garbage in, garbage out: This chapter creates an understanding to the students on how to deal with garbage, garbage disposal, recycling, etc.
Conclusion: All the above chapters are both informative and interesting for the students to learn. Students can work on CBSE NCERT Worksheets for Class 6 Science to contemplate their understanding of reading the textbook.